Over the last couple years I have booked many AirBnb’s and with it came the experience of things to do and not to do during your stays. I have stayed in many countries and had female and male hosts, singles and families, different sexual orientations, hosts who stayed home and hosts who went to work, some I rarely saw and some I talked to a lot.
Until now I never had a bad stay, the rooms were clean, the kitchens were well stocked and the hosts were nice and welcoming. The bathrooms were neat, had hooks and shelves. I was provided with sheets, towels and mostly with a nice welcome email or a welcome folder in my room. Sometimes the rooms/houses were a little aged but that does not matter as long as everything is kept clean.
Like I said over time I talk to a lot of hosts as well as others guests, I made some notes for myself if I ever wanted to become a host as well or if someone asks me for some tips and here we are. I decided to share everything I believe is appropriate when you are a host as well when you are a guest, most things are common sense or logical but it never hurts to mention it again.
Host advice for the rooms:
- a small table and chair to work on
- a little booklet with maps, tips, nearest laundromat, coffee shop etc to help guests
- a bottle of water, sometimes yo arrive late and nothing is open
- room spray or sendet candle
- towels and extra blanket
- more than just one pillow, different people different pillow needs
Some tips to make cleaning easier:
- make sure your guests know where trash cans are (had to bring all the trash from the car upstairs to the room on some occasions, not the perfect thing to do)
When you are a guest make sure you behave the same way as you want others to behave in your home. Things I have seen and heard the most are sometimes disgusting, sometimes disturbing and most of the time just plain rude towards your hosts and potential other guests.
- Be respectful of quiet times – mostly 10 pm to 8 am. If yo want to shower before you fly out early try to keep the noise down which means no blasting music, slamming doors or drying hair on the wall the bedroom is.
- Make sure to rinse the shower after you use it, remove your hair from the drain and throw out your used razor.
- When you decide you need to have sex please make sure you keep the noise level low, nobody wants to be woken up in the middle of the night by your moaning.
- Same goes if you plan on drinking, keep it classy. Nobody wants to hear you vomit. I also believe your host does not welcome it to have to clean it the next day.
- If you use the kitchen, clean up after yourself, not just the pots and pans, also the counters and the floor when dirty.
- I always try to take off my shoes at the door, put on slippers or socks. Helps everybody to keep the house clean.
These are things I experienced and heard others talk or complain about. Sometimes I have the feeling people don’t care when they go somewhere else and leave their own house and stay with someone else. Please consider that you are entering someones home, that they are super generous to do so, treat them well and they will give it back.